Monday, January 28, 2013

Trollish Delight

Remember troll dolls? You know, those multicolored dolls that were so impossibly ugly that they were almost cute? Well, I'm proud (and a little bit horrified!) to say that I've made something with that very quality. Three cheers for the kitschy thread catcher!

I am kitschy, hear me roar!

I made this little box to practice Oh Fransson's quilt-as-you-go-technique. Sort of a trial run *before* cutting into my beloved Japanese fabrics. It was a lot of fun, though a little work intensive for an experiment.  If you haven't try this technique I highly recommend it. I plan to finish it off with a dark grey lining, and maybe even some (lime green?) piping up top. These things require a trip to the fabric store, so it's shelved for now.

Oh, and did I mention this thing is 6 inches square? That's a lot of thread. I'm setting the bar high, but I think I can fill it!

Friday, January 18, 2013

Throw Pillow Completion!

Realization of the day: I am an adult who spends a lot of her free time playing with rainbows. Not sure what that says about me, but I sure am happy about this throw pillow!

Other than a fat quarter for the backing and a few dollars worth of cording for the trim I had almost all the materials on hand. I pieced the top using only scraps, some of them impossibly small castoffs from squaring up my Good Fortune Quilt. The patchwork is a combination of 3 inch squares and 1.25 inch strips, for a final 20x20 pillow. I had a lot of fun auditioning scraps to achieve a gradual color change from purple to green. And to make the little windows of color pop I decided to keep the quilting very simple -- just a little straight line quilting around each "window pane".

This was my first pillow, and my first time using piping. I can see how these could become dangerously addictive, especially since I still have two unused pillow forms hanging around! 

Friday, January 11, 2013

Good Fortune Throw Pillow

This throw pillow is my latest work in progress,  inspired by Fabric Mutt.  What can I say, I'm sort of a sucker for rainbows.

Even though it's pretty simple, this is the first thing I've ever made without a pattern. It's coming together quickly and even used up some of my Good Fortune Quilt scraps.  Now to find the time to finish it up!

Saturday, January 5, 2013

First Big Finish!

Admittedly it took a little longer than I hoped, but my Good Fortune Quilt is officially complete! This is my first large-sized quilt, measuring 63 x 72 or a generous throw size. I finished it late last night, and pulled it out of the dryer early this morning. My mini-me hasn't stopped cuddling it; I think she's almost as happy as I am! And a huge thank you  Fresh Lemon Quilts for the great pattern!

I'm going to put together a coordinating throw pillow or two to match (I still have an embarrassing amount of scraps from this project!), and then I'll begin plotting my next big quilt. I splurged on a fat quarter bundle of Tula Pink's Salt Water which should arrive in a few days. If I can overcome my fabric hoarding instincts I'll be cutting into it very soon.

Friday, January 4, 2013

Lessons Learned

I hit a snafu with the binding...I realized *way* too late that I hadn't squared up the quilt very well and there were a few places where the binding "missed" the quilt top. It took me four days to rip out some 6,000 stitches (!!), but now that it's done I'm glad that I took the time to re-do it. Also, instead of doing the back by hand I followed Red Pepper Quilt's machine binding tutorial. It's a little tricky, but I finally got the technique down in the end. The result is super sturdy -- with two cats, a dog and a toddler this quilt will be no stranger to the washing machine :)

Machine Binding - Red Pepper Quilt's Style